Top critical review
Lacks imagination, too long, silly story
Reviewed in the United States on November 30, 2018
Ok. First, this isn’t as bad as dragons love tacos. So there’s that. BUT....
Will this spark imagination? No
Is there a purpose to the story? Absolutely not
Will the child learn anything? No
With that said let it be known I am not against slight crude humor in kids books. If they’re educational and have a good message then ok fine. But here are the reasons this book is awful:
1. Gift pecks parents are encouraging in the first two pages then are NEVER MENTIONED AGAIN EVEN WHEN the teacher tells him he can’t ever talk about architecture or build a single thing..
2. The teacher hates architecture because she once got stuck in an elevator (with very entertaining people) .... that’s dumb
3. The rhymes are a BUG stretch and it doesn’t flow. If you can’t make that work then just don’t rhyme. I feel like the rhymes took the story to a weird place instead of having a good concept for the book
4. The teacher faints simply because a bridge collapses
5. Iggy Peck fought for NOTHING he gave up IMMEDIATELY on his PASSION. He LUCKED into being able to build something again. The kid tried for nothing. If the rest of the story was good I guess I could over look that and find something positive to say like “oh there’s a need for architecture” but that’s not what a kid is going to grasp....
6. Ummm some of the drawings are uncomfortably racist. The little Asian girl IS COLORED YELLOW! WHAT?!?!?! And this is coming from someone who doesn’t notice stuff like that very often. I debated on even putting this here because there are so many other reasons this book is awful, but I really think it needs to be pointed out....
If you want a great book about building or creating something “If I Built A House” is a BILLION times better. I’m so disappointed in Iggy Peck... I’m shocked there’s a whole series!