Top positive review
Reviewed in the United States on October 16, 2018
These are half to 1/3 the cost of "name brand" or accy store running boards/nerf bars, so I was slightly leary at first, but after reading so many positive reviews, as well as several recommendations on a ram owners forum, I gave these a go. I couldnt be happier one month in on my new truck.
Pros / Likes:
1. Price! as mentioned before these things are a great buy for the money. Ive Installed accessories for 25 years on my vehicles and customer vehicles at dealerships. The price is great, and for the quality its OUTSTANDING!
2. Over all fitment. The fitment process was very good. Many aftermarket accy's have issues, even expensive top name ones. I was dreading the inevitable drilling or bending on my new truck but never had to do that. One bracket did require a slight mod, but Ill explain that in a second. All in all, these were so close to OEM fit and quality, its hard to even ding them for that, despite it being expected.. ALL brackets were stamped as to location, and all hardware was present, and sorted into bags. The installation instructions were clear, and well written (not in broken Chinglish or Traphouse Anime like usual with import products).
3. Looks. I dont own a lifteed 4x4 or top end trim truck. So I did not want a set of bars that looked like a roided up bro wearing affliction and ed hardy everything was going to slide out of the truck from all the hair gel and NJ grease if the door opened on his Bro-dozer at the valet line for a sleazy club. I just needed functional, subtle and decent looking bars. Thats exactly what I got.
4. Install time. I did these in my driveway, with ALL hand tools because my air compressor was down. Ive installed bars before so maybe that helps, but it took me about an hour to put these on laying on the ground and figuring out the captive plate placement needed for Ram applications. If this is your first set ever, Id expect 2 hours. If I had access to a lift that would have put my truck at stand up working height, and had a working compressor for air tools,I could have installed these in a half hour no problem. Theyre that well designed and layed out.
5. Strength. These things are STRONG. Im 275 lbs and they hold me no problem. both my 170-190lb teenage boys can stand on one side together (nearly 400lbs total) and they hold solid. My wife who is only 5' tall, couldnt hardly get in my truck before without replicating a circus act or mountain goat running from a predator to climb in. Now she can step up with ease.
6. Clearance. I have not measured the actual clearance difference - but on my 2wd HD ram 2500, these do not extend down any further than the front suspension i beams. So id say you dont lose any realistic ground clearance, esp since im not offroading. BUT if you took a tall curb at an angle where the rocker area would get exposed to an obstacle that the i beam or diff pumpkin didnt, there would be a greater chance of hitting board than if it were just rockers. BUT thats any running board on any truck, and a lifted 4x4 would not matter anyway most likely.. Just an fyi for overall drop, because these do drop below rocker a little bit and are not "flush" like some OEM boards can be.
CONS / DRAWBACKS:
Yes there are some. but ts so slight it shouldnt affect your purchase. More so just an FYI.
1. Final fitment issue - I had one bracket that didnt quite line up with the factory drilled holes in the rocker pinch weld. Theres NO WAY that bracket was bent in shipping as these are BEASTS of brackets. I figure it was just tolerance stacking in opposite directions by each mfg added up to the issue. fortunately it was a rear bracket and I swapped it with another (4 brackets are one direction, 2 brackets are another), and everything lined up then. Even if it was a front bracket, 2 minutes with a rat tail file would have been all that was needed to open the hole slightly. Some Ram and Ford applications require you to drill your own holes in pinch weld, so this would not even be an issue if thats your case.
2. Plastic covers from brackets. These are a bit flimsy and cheesy, held on with plastic pins. I have not had a problem yet, but I can see where driving through tall grass or something could snag and pull one off. They are universal fit with a large gap (that doesnt show though) but allows ample flexing.. We will see how the long term does on these. Again, for the price, do not let this deter you from buying these..
Overall, VERY VERY happy with this purchase