Top critical review
149 pages of corrections!
Reviewed in the United States on November 30, 2019
Twenty years ago, I taught myself to use ArcView from an Esri book. I used the skills I learned for 3 years, then let them lapse. Now I want to pick them up again, so I bought this book based on 7 reviews, all 5-star ratings. It was a mistake. Here’s why.
• The book comes with a code that allows for a 6-month trial of ArcGIS Pro. That’s huge!
• There are many good exercises with color pictures that illustrate what to do.
* Lots of assignments at the end of each chapter.
• The book assumes you have a teacher leading you through concepts. As a standalone tutorial, it’s not ideal.
• There’s no index, so often it’s difficult or impossible to remember how to do a step that was taught in an earlier chapter or page. When that happened, I had to Google it.
• Here’s the killer: To use this book, you must download a PDF document with 149 pages of corrections. Yes, there are 149 pages of mistakes in this book! I can’t tell you how many times I was working through an exercise and got stuck, only to discover the step in the book (or an illustration) was wrong. Why wasn’t the book reprinted so all the mistakes are corrected? Mr. Gorr and Ms. Kurland, you’ve had two years to correct this book (copyright 2017, I bought it new in 2019). Why wasn’t this done?
There must be better books for beginners who are not in a college class.