Top critical review
The editor did not do their job well
Reviewed in the United States on December 24, 2020
Priddy First 100 Animals books was a confusing disappointment. Who edited this book?!
• Is gosling really in the top 100? What kid uses the word gosling? And then it’s only featured on the cover, not inside the actual book
• Wild animals is a category-aren’t all animals wild except pets? And some of the wild animals are also featured on other pages so there are a few repeating animals
• Why are there both pigs and piglets on the farm page, but no chickens?
• Meerkats? Really? No one needs to know what a meerkat is
• Why are there 3 different owls on different pages?
• The picture of the hippo is terrible, you cannot see his face
• What the hell is a terrapin? Why not a turtle?
• Some pictures look like clip art. Some have a nice backdrop of animals in their natural habitat but many are just a white background that looks cheap.
• Two moths? One butterfly is fine but this is too much
• Even Australian kids don’t care what a kookaburra is. And no one outside of Australia knows what it is. And a kingfisher bird…why did that get one of the first 100 slots?
• Water dragon…? Is that even a real animal?
• We don’t need a separate frog and a tree frog entry
• Sometimes they specify the species and others they don’t
• Nobody wants to look at a page of insects