Top positive review
Shacke Pak vs eBags! Quality construction, Great design, EXCELLENT ZIPPER...made me a BELIEVER in PACKING CUBES!!
Reviewed in the United States on December 30, 2015
- Quality build
- Excellent zipper quality and durability
- Strong seams
- Open netting design allows for visibility of contents and easy compression
- Attractive but simple colors and design
- Comfortable zipper pulls
- Comes with sack to carry all the packing cubes and can alternatively be used as a travel laundry bag
- 4 packing cubes for the price of many competitors offering 3
- Excellent customer service
- Nothing major at the moment, but I am starting to notice after a few months of use that some of the seams appear to be stretching a little too far and am concerned that it may tear after a while
- The plastic spring cord lock used on the sack that carries all the packing cubes (I used the sack as a "dirty laundry bag") broke after a month
Ask me a year ago whether I would ever have packing cubes and I would have scoffed at you and declared that it was illogical to try to save packing space by using packing cubes that forced the cube shape. Now...I'm a believer!!
Packing cubes have changed the way I packed forever. Not only does it organize everything I pack (underwear, socks, pajamas go in one; shirts and pants go in another, etc), it allows me to pack 2-3 times more than I used to be able to because you are able to squeeze everything into a packing cube and then zip it up. Packing cubes don't add any appreciable weight to your luggage because they are so lightweight anyway. And for longer trips, I simply take out my packing cubes from my duffel bag/suitcase and they serve as drawers for all my travel items.
In terms of Shacke Pak specifically, I referenced in my "Pros" why I think Shacke Pak is generally superior to other brands. In particular, I received one packing cube that had an issue with the zipper that resulted in the zipper handle breaking pre-maturely. I contacted Shacke Pak and customer service immediately sent me a replacement packing cube without any hassle. I am very pleased with the customer service and it has given me some measure of confidence that they will continue to take care of their customers in the future.
**Update: I also own two sets of eBags packing cubes (you can read my other reviews) and have had the opportunity to compare them directly to Shacke Pak. In all honesty, both brands make exceptional packing cubes and you really wouldn't be disappointed either way. But to be nit picky, I will share a few of my observations:
- Shacke Pak uses a material with a matte finish compared to the more shiny honeycomb design of eBags. The Shacke Pak material stretches ever so slightly, whereas the eBags material has very little give. As a result, it appears that the material eBags uses is slightly more durable, but Shacke Pak looks slightly more premium.
- Shacke Pak uses hidden stitching beneath the zippers, whereas eBags uses a double stitched design in most places. After owning the Shacke Pak packing cubes for about a year, I am noticing that the hidden stitching under the zipper pulls a little more and actually becomes visible when I pack the cubes tightly. This concerns me slightly and makes me question the long term durability whereas eBags' double stitched design seems to hold strong regardless of how tightly I pack the cubes.
- The depth of Shacke Pak packing cubes is .75" to 1" more, so you can pack more.
- The zipper pull handle (not the zipper itself) on one of my packing cubes from Shacke Pak fell off after one month. I contacted Shacke Pak and they immediately sent me an entire new packing cube. Shacke Pak demonstrated excellent customer service, but at the same time I am a little concerned that something like that happened so quickly in the first place. Since then, I have had no issues with my two sets of packing cubes from Shacke Pak. I have had no issues with eBags in terms of the zippers or zipper handles in the 6 months that I have owned them.
- Shacke Pak packing cubes gives you 4 for the price of approximately 3 from eBags. Also, Shacke Pak includes a pouch with the packing cubes that can be conveniently used as a dirty laundry bag when you're travelling. You seem to get a little more for your money with Shacke Pak.
- Zipper quality for both is excellent, as they both use YKK zippers.
- Overall: You can't go wrong with either and each brand has slight advantages over the other in a few areas. I personally think eBags is slightly more durable, but that Shacke Pak is slightly more attractive and gives you a little more for your money.
If you are looking for a high quality and durable set of packing cubes for travelling, you really can't go wrong with the Shacke Pak set. The price is reasonable and you get 4 packing cubes for the price of what most competitors charge for 3. I have not had any real issues with quality or durability (I travel and use these a lot, but I will update my review in the future), and Shacke Pak has already demonstrated to me that they have excellent customer service. I also think the Shacke Pak packing cube set provides one of the most stylish designs compared to the others out there.
**I have included a picture of one my packing cubes when it is packed tightly showing what I mean about the hidden stitching being stretched and visible. This concerns me a bit.