Top critical review
2.5 I'm a Special Snowflake Stars
Reviewed in the United States on December 15, 2019
Once again, I’m just meh about this series. There could be so much that is great about it but action scenes were priority over the plot and the main character is a special snowflake great at everything, well except relationships, so blows at those.
I was hoping for more world building in this and there is a little but most of the time we are just jumping from one reactive incident to another.
• The writing in Night Stalker is a little better overall than the prior book
• The Scooby Squad is still pretty fun and I like most of the members on it
• Dhampir (Daywalkers) seem awesome
• Not enough world building. For example, the Dhampir, one of the characters it is mentioned had a breeding program for them. It is said pretty much just like that and that the mothers never survive is also mentioned in passing. So that is it, like a 2-line statement. I really wanted for the author to expand on the vampire character by giving some more details of how the program worked. Like how evil is this vamp, does he pay poor dying women for the use of their bodies to create one or is he sanctioning raping unsuspecting women by new made vampires in hopes of swooping in at birth to claim the child.
• The romance is laughable. I get that our heroine hasn’t really had a real emotional relationship in her life but the first time her new boyfriend asks for some details of her past she throws a temper tantrum and tells him she hopes he dies alone. There is more than that but that’s the jist
• Not much plot holding everything together. Erin gets jumped, someone is kidnapped, Erin gets ambushed. It is all a little too convenient. If every bad guy knows where you live it might be time to move.
But my main problem is that I’m more interested in some of the side characters than I am in the main character and story line. Lizzy is half Fae, a seer and going to school to be an astrophysicist. I’m really more interested in her life half in and out of the Fae world. There is also the trio who finds things. They came into the bar after a bad night where a black mage tried to summon a demon
This series is just missing something for me and I’m really one the fence about if I will continue. There seems to only be one more book and I’d sorta like to wrap up the story but at the same time there just doesn’t seem to be much substance to it.