Top critical review
Stomach pain and bloating.
Reviewed in the United States on May 13, 2017
In brief: Do some more research on alternative vegan protein options before concluding on Orgain.
This is my 2nd vegan protein powder, and I ignorantly bought it without doing much research besides relying on the fact that it's a best seller item and has somewhat decent reviews.
1) My goal for buying was to take after the gym. I don't think it's meant for that (even though it says it's for athletes, among others) and seems to be geared more towards meal replacement due to the ingredients meant to have an effect on appetite. There's not even an amino acid profile on the packaging which is something I'd actually like to have.
2) It tastes markedly better than my first vegan brand (Sunwarrior Warrior Blend which tastes awful), but other reviewers seem to not like the taste - I got vanilla. Maybe after forcing down a terrible flavor for so long, a less-bad flavor is much less noticeable to me.
3) Aside from flavor, however, it made my stomach hurt pretty badly within and hour of taking it. It doesn't appear that my experience is completely unique among customers. I wasn't sure whether it was this or something else until I tried 2 more times and experienced the same issue on both occasions. The first time was the worst time though. Further research on ingredients pulled up:
- Organic Acacia Gum: Thickener extracted from the acacia tree, it also provides fiber to help suppress appetite. Possible side effects which may result include: A) Nausea, gas, and bloating. B) Loose stools, diarrhea, and indigestion.
- Organic Erythritol: A sugar alcohol used as an alternative sweetener. It is only partially absorbed by the body and contains almost no calories. It can promote side effects such as: A) Indigestion, bloating, and stomach rumbling. B) Nausea, intestinal gas, and ill feelings.
- Organic Guar Gum: A fiber and thickener that is extracted from the guar plant. It is sometimes used as a laxative, and it can cause an expansion in the intestines to mimic fullness.
Among other things. I have experienced the above side effects all three times, and it's pretty irritating. I don't even think that I can return it now - so it's a waste of money on top.