Top positive review
The Best out there?
Reviewed in the United States on August 20, 2020
Update 8/31/20 IF YOU DIDN'T RECEIVE YOUR WIRED AKG headphones, it's because Samsung decided not to add it to the box for US customers.
Call Samsung USA at (800) 726-7864 to request yours for free, it's a bit of a hassle, but they sent mine at the end. You haven't been scammed if you don't find the wired headphones in the box!
Original review: I say it's the best, with a grain of salt, read the cons to know why!
To start off, Samsung did an amazing job with this phone, so much that they rendered the fairly new, still very expensive, S20 Ultra, almost obsolete!
But I'm not gonna review both units here, so for those of you looking for quick pros & cons, here you go.
- AMAZING display, I had so many high end phones, including the IPhone 11 pro max and Google Pixel 4XL & even the note 10, but this screen here bests all of them. The high refresh rate, the beautiful colors, and the better ratio (it's a little wider than the S20 ultra for example), all this makes for an outstanding screen.
- Great main camera. The pictures are just perfect in almost all light conditions. I dunno how much better is the 108 MP mode, it bothered me a little that cropping a 108 MP picture didn't yield the perfect result, but all in all, the camera is top notch, in all its modes. The videos are even better. You won't find a phone with a better main camera on the market.
- The S pen is pretty useful for taking notes! I didn't feel like I needed it for anything else except, may be, for a selfie, so eventhough it isn't the biggest selling point, it's worth mentioning.
- It looks great! Yup, design wise, that phone looks really good, that it feels bad putting any covers on it. I personally just ordered a very slim, transparent case & I wouldn't recommend anything else.
There are some added gimmicky features that you can find almost everywhere online, but I personally loved the direct share, where I can show anything I want from my phone and cast it to a smart TV or one with a Google chrome cast attached to it, it happened a lot before that I needed to show many people at the same time, whatever it is that was on my phone, photos or a certain app, and that feature here makes it so easy.
- I dunno how this isn't mentioned anywhere, but the selfie camera isn't great at all in low light conditions. Yes in the morning, outdoor, it is very good, but other than that it's just not great! I could see myself buying the next Google Pixel instead, just for this.
- Battery life isn't good enough either. It's worse than my S20 Ultra, and it was no surprise, since Samsung decided to give this phone a smaller battery 🙄
I find myself charging it twice a day, which really isn't practical.
Just for those 2 points, added to the fact that it's a super expensive phone, I had to give it 4 stars.
Now if it gets the Google Pixel software for the selfie camera, and a full day of battery life that would have been the best phone ever made! But I guess we'll have to wait for next year for that!